Saturday, November 24, 2012

The shoe fits. I'm a princess

I spent a weekend with a three-year old and a one-year old and I did things I haven't done in 25 years. No I did not fight over toys.

I finger painted. And even though I was wearing a smock, I still managed to get paint all over my shirt. As the three-year old slammed her hand down in the paint, splattering it in every direction, I glanced to see if her mom, my friend, was watching and wondered if I could get away with that too.

Next the three-year old decides it's time to play dress up. I love dress up. I'm still playing that game. We head up to her room. She declares,

"I want to be Cinderella."

"Ok." This sounds simple at first, but for a girl who has every Disney princess costume it is not. She becomes frustrated when she can't find all the parts of the Cinderella costume. Do NOT confuse Cinderella's princess accessories with Snow White's. They are NOT interchangeable.

Once her glass slippers are in place she turns to me,

"You need to dress up."

"I have this scarf."

"You need to dress up as a princess."

This would be a dream come true for me if I were three feet tall and could actually fit into any of these ball gowns. I try to explain this. The three-year old is insistent.

"You need to dress up."

"I'll be Belle. She's my favorite."

Somehow the top of Belle's ball gown manages to fit over my arms. The three-year old is mad. She tells me,

"You need to velcro it in the back."

"This is good enough."

She hands me the skirt. I put one leg in it. The waist band is snug around my thigh. Now the little girl is very frustrated with me and thinks I'm an idiot. She tells me,

"You're supposed to put both legs in there."

"I know. I wish I could."

Then she hands me Belle's child-size heels. I put three toes in each shoe. She starts pushing on my pinky toe.

"You need to put all your toes in."

Just as I put on my head piece and squeeze a fourth toe into the shoe, my friend walks in,

"Very nice. I'm going to get my camera."



I do not have the photo or else I'd share it with you.
I was in the yellow costume on the left. I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment